Thursday 12 April 2012

An introduction

Well now that I have started my blog, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I guess the idea was to get a platform for my ideas on philosophy, politics and potentially other stuff. As I am working in the moment on my BA Dissertation on the topic of the development of the idea of the state, and more specifically the 'Rechtsstaat' or state of rights/law, in the west and China, my first entries will be tangent to the topic. As this is the focus of my work, I will primarily write about the ideas of Kant and Hegel, as well as a number of Chinese philosophers such as Confucius, Mencius, Motzu, some Legalist thought and the reflective philosophy of the Yuan and Ming dynasties, a period sometimes referred to as the 'Chinese Rennaissance'.

Other topics will include some thoughts surrounding the conflict in the middle-east as a recent debate in Germany surrounding the literature-Nobelprize winner Günther Grass, accusing Israel of being the chief threat to the 'anyway fragile world peace', brought the issue back to my attention.
Further political issues to be discussed might include issues such as climate change, my conception of fascism in a modern form (i.e. Jonah Goldberg's idea of 'liberal fascism'), theory of rights, the question of humanitarian intervention and imperialism and, always a key issue for me, the politics of China and the far-east.

No comments:

Post a Comment